In your pursuit of optimal IT Asset Management (ITAM) solutions, the showdown between Cherwell Asset Management vs. ServiceNow Software Asset Management takes center stage. Choosing the right ITAM solution can profoundly impact your organization's efficiency and overall trajectory.
In this blog post, we’ll explore these two prominent tools in-depth, delving into a comprehensive ITAM software comparison.
But that's not where the journey ends – we'll introduce a third contender, InvGate Insight. With its distinct functionalities and capabilities, this platform adds another layer of consideration to your decision-making process.
- What is Cherwell Asset Management?
- What is ServiceNow Software Asset Management?
- Considering InvGate Insight as an ITAM solution alternative
Read on to unlock the insights that will inform your decision-making process and lead you to the perfect fit for your organization's needs.
Most looked-at features by buyers
When evaluating options for IT Asset Management, potential buyers consider various essential capabilities to choose the most suitable solution that aligns with their specific needs and business requirements.
Here are several critical factors that purchasers contemplate when selecting a tailored ITAM solution for their organization.
- Proactive cost management and financial enhancement - The solution should integrate financial data, contract lifecycle management, licenses, and other pertinent information to comprehensively understand operational expenses.
- Flexible deployment options - Users prefer a platform that offers flexibility in choosing deployment methods, such as cloud-based, on-premises, or hybrid solutions.
- Enhanced cybersecurity compliance - Buyers seek a tool that monitors the security status of assets to identify and address security vulnerabilities proactively.
- Integration with help desk - Incorporating integration with help desk software enables seamless sharing of information between Asset Management and IT Service Management processes. This integration improves communication, streamlines workflows, and enhances overall service delivery.
- Unified control of IT assets and inventory - Users can efficiently oversee and manage their IT asset inventory through a single interface. The solution must automate the detection of assets and the recording of vital details such as hardware specifications, software versions, and ownership information.
- Comprehensive insights into infrastructure - The platform should grant complete visibility into IT assets' state, performance, and usage, empowering users to make well-informed decisions and optimize their infrastructure. It should also encompass robust reporting and analytical functionalities.
- Optimization of software management - This feature allows users to monitor software installations, ensure proper Software License Management, and identify instances of overutilization or underutilization.
- Automation and proactive notifications - The solution should facilitate automated workflows for routine tasks like software updates, patch deployments, and system maintenance. This ensures smooth operations and swift responses to critical events through automated processes and timely proactive alerts.
- Remote management with integrated tools - Integration with commonly used remote desktop tools empowers IT teams to diagnose issues, apply patches, conduct software installations, and perform system updates remotely, eliminating the need for physical presence.
- Creation of CMDB maps - Users can define and document connections between different components, including hardware devices, software applications, network links, and interdependencies. Visualizing these connections aids organizations in understanding the effects of changes, evaluating potential risks, and planning efficient Incident and Change Management.
What is Cherwell Asset Management?
Cherwell Asset Management is an IT tool meant to simplify the control of software and hardware assets. This comprehensive solution aims to decrease expenses related to software licenses, lower the burden on IT operations, and reduce the risks associated with software audits.
The main features of Cherwell Asset Management encompass keeping track of hardware and software inventory, managing compliance with licenses, analyzing software usage, and facilitating ITAM purchases. It smoothly integrates with Cherwell IT Service Management, thereby enhancing the entire IT framework.
The company behind Cherwell Asset Management, Cherwell Software, was purchased by Ivanti, a prominent enterprise Service Management provider. Following this merger, Ivanti is guiding Cherwell clients toward its Ivanti Neurons platform. Nevertheless, this sudden transition has led to customer discontent, opening up an opportunity for other ITSM/ITAM vendors to offer alternative remedies.
What users like from Cherwell Asset Management
Cherwell Asset Management has gained extensive acknowledgment and received favorable customer feedback, with respected sources like Gartner recognizing its strengths.
Users have highlighted various benefits of the platform, which encompass the following.
- Monitoring and administration - Users strongly commend Cherwell Asset Management for its adept integration with multiple sourcing services and its capability to oversee non-IT assets, citing their effectiveness in monitoring and managing assets. Using an agent to gather data contributes to the precision and dependability of asset information.
- Interface and customization - Users greatly value the platform's remarkable level of adaptability. Additionally, users particularly favor the option to whitelist and blacklist software based on individual assets.
- Effectiveness and performance - Users have provided favorable feedback on the reliability and performance of the platform's applications. Its efficiency and capacity to trace modifications and incidents are also underscored as notable advantages.
- Generation of reports - Users have expressed positive remarks about the software's report generation features, noting that including charts enhances the visual appeal and ease of understanding.
- Affordability - The cost-effectiveness of Cherwell Asset Management, along with its straightforward configuration out of the box, renders it a compelling option for users seeking efficient Asset Management solutions.
What users don’t like from Cherwell Asset Management
In spite of the numerous strengths and positive characteristics associated with Cherwell Asset Management, it does not elude the presence of customer worries and criticisms. Reviews in reputable sources like Gartner have illuminated certain recurring grievances voiced by users. These include:
- Implementation process - Dissatisfaction among some users regarding Cherwell Asset Management's implementation process highlights room for improvement in its out-of-the-box readiness.
- User interface - The design of the user interface for specific modules and Mapp draws criticism for its awkwardness and lack of user-friendliness, indicating a necessity for enhancements. Moreover, some users recommend optimizing the UX for smaller organizations to address their specific needs.
- Limited advanced features and API capabilities - Some users wish for heightened advanced features and API capabilities to tailor to distinct requirements and amplify functionality.
- Inconvenience stemming from frequent minor upgrades - Some users find minor upgrades disruptive, potentially interrupting workflows and user experience.
- Issues with advanced customization - Advanced customization demands substantial effort and learning of the code base, posing challenges for users aiming for tailored configurations.
- Challenges with certain tickets and usability - Specific tickets may not perform as anticipated, affecting usability and causing user frustration.
- Performance apprehensions with particular web browsers - Reports of performance issues and occasional lag with specific web browsers impact user experience and efficiency.
- Limitations linked to built-in asset scanning - Users have encountered difficulties with asset scanning through the built-in option, leading to a wish for improved scanning alternatives.
- A desire for more involvement in interface design prior to deployment - Users express a longing for greater participation in the interface design phase before deployment to align the platform more closely with their preferences and workflows.
- Absence of integration with App Dynamics system monitoring - Users point out the absence of integration with App Dynamics system monitoring, limiting comprehensive monitoring capabilities.
What’s Cherwell Asset Management’s argument over ServiceNow Software Asset Management?
When comparing Cherwell Asset Management to the ServiceNow Software Asset Management solution, several distinctive advantages emerge.
- Comprehensive IT and non-IT Asset Management - Cherwell Asset Management's capability to effectively oversee non-IT assets caters to organizations with diverse asset portfolios, offering a holistic approach to Asset Management that covers a wide spectrum.
- Granular customization - The platform's robust customization options, including individual software whitelisting and blacklisting, provide Cherwell Asset Management users unparalleled control over their Asset Management processes.
- Enhanced monitoring precision - Cherwell Asset Management's utilization of data-gathering agents contributes to higher accuracy and reliability in asset monitoring.
- Visual report interpretation - The platform's report generation capabilities, enriched by visually appealing charts, facilitate quicker and more intuitive data interpretation.
- Affordability and ease of configuration - Cherwell Asset Management's cost-effectiveness, combined with its straightforward out-of-the-box configuration, can be particularly enticing for organizations seeking a balance between value and functionality.
What is ServiceNow Software Asset Management?
ServiceNow's Software Asset Management (SAM) capabilities provide organizations with the means to effectively handle risk, decrease expenditures, and automate the software lifecycle, all within a unified framework. By simplifying the management of assets, presenting adaptable features, and emphasizing security and adherence to regulations, ServiceNow empowers enterprises to optimize their software assets, trim costs, and proficiently oversee their software.
Established in 2004 and headquartered in Santa Clara, California, ServiceNow delivers an extensive array of cloud-based solutions tailored to suit a variety of corporate needs. Their solutions encompass areas such as IT Service Management, IT Operations Management, IT Business Management, Customer Service Management, Human Resources Service Delivery, Security Operations, and more.
What users like from ServiceNow Software Asset Management
ServiceNow's capabilities in Software Asset Management have garnered widespread recognition and received positive feedback from satisfied customers, as confirmed by reputable sources like Gartner. Users have pointed out various advantages, which encompass:
- Effective Risk Management - Users highlight the valuable benefits of the risk mitigation elements offered by ServiceNow. These features provide insights that are particularly valuable for legal and compliance purposes, ensuring organizations can manage risks effectively and make informed decisions.
- Asset discovery and inventory enhancement - ServiceNow's Software Asset Management simplifies the process of asset discovery and Inventory Management, resulting in enhanced asset tracking and compliance. This feature contributes to better organization and control over an organization's assets.
- User-friendly interface - The platform has an intuitive and user-friendly interface, enabling users to navigate with ease and quickly grasp its functionalities. This user-centric design fosters smooth interaction and rapid familiarity with the platform.
- Workflow streamlining - Users express their satisfaction with the tool's capacity to automate tasks and optimize employee provisioning. This functionality enhances the efficiency of IT processes, leading to improved overall operational effectiveness.
What users don’t like from ServiceNow Software Asset Management
While ServiceNow SAM has various strengths and favorable qualities, it is not devoid of customer concerns and criticisms. Here are several common grievances articulated by users in reviews from trustworthy sources such as Gartner:
- Functionality limitations - Specific users point out that the tool's functionality is constrained in certain aspects, potentially rendering it inadequate for managing intricate licensing software scenarios.
- Complexity - Some users encounter complexity when engaging with ServiceNow SAM, necessitating a substantial time investment to comprehend and effectively navigate its intricacies.
- Cost concerns - The cost associated with the platform raises concerns, particularly for medium and small-sized companies. This financial consideration can pose challenges in terms of achieving full implementation and obtaining the platform, affecting the feasibility of adoption for these businesses.
- Documentation shortcomings - Users express a desire for improved documentation, particularly concerning the end-user experience and comprehension of the software normalization processes. Enhanced documentation would assist users in harnessing the platform's capabilities more effectively.
What’s ServiceNow Software Asset Management’s argument over Cherwell Asset Management?
ServiceNow Software Asset Management and Cherwell Asset Management offer their own strengths and benefits, catering to the diverse needs of organizations.
Let's delve into ServiceNow Asset Management's distinctive advantages over Cherwell Asset Management.
- Enhanced Risk Management for legal and compliance - ServiceNow Software Asset Management excels in providing robust risk mitigation elements, offering valuable insights crucial for legal and compliance purposes. This empowers organizations to manage risks effectively and make informed decisions, ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Streamlined asset discovery and Inventory Management - The platform simplifies the complex process of asset discovery and Inventory Management. This leads to enhanced asset tracking precision and compliance, contributing to better organizational control over assets.
- User-friendly interface and workflow efficiency - The software offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface, allowing users to navigate seamlessly and swiftly comprehend its functionalities. Additionally, its capacity to automate tasks and optimize employee provisioning enhances overall operational efficiency.
Considering InvGate Insight as an ITAM solution alternative
For organizations in search of tailored alternatives for IT Asset Management to suit their specific needs, InvGate Insight stands as a compelling choice. Functioning as a robust ITAM solution, InvGate Insight presents an array of features and functionalities that position it as a viable candidate for optimizing Asset Management processes.
Let's delve into its key attributes.
Proactive management of operational costs
InvGate Insight empowers organizations by seamlessly incorporating financial data, contracts, licenses, and essential information into the system. This comprehensive integration enables a comprehensive understanding of operational costs, thereby facilitating informed and proactive financial decisions. This approach optimizes budget allocation and maximizes the return on IT investments.
Flexible deployment options catering to specific needs
InvGate Insight acknowledges the distinctiveness of organizational requirements and industry regulations, providing adaptable deployment options. This flexibility allows organizations to choose between cloud-based or on-premise solutions, ensuring alignment with individual needs and compliance standards.
Comprehensive insights into IT infrastructure
With its robust array of features, InvGate Insight offers comprehensive and actionable insights into IT assets, encompassing their status and utilization. This depth of insight empowers effective management and optimization of the infrastructure, ultimately enhancing operational efficiency.
Efficiency in operations with CMDB map builder
The CMDB map builder tool integrated into InvGate Insight furnishes a comprehensive and lucid overview of the IT landscape. By visually representing relationships between components, potential impacts on operational continuity can be swiftly identified, leading to preemptive risk mitigation. This heightened visibility translates into reduced service times, amplified operational efficiency, and smoother IT workflows.
Elevated IT Asset and Inventory Management
InvGate Insight streamlines IT and non-IT Asset Management through seamless data integration from diverse sources, including prominent operating systems, cloud service providers (AWS, Google, and Azure), and MDMs (JAMF and Google Endpoint Manager). This integration simplifies the management of assets, locations, and personnel, ultimately saving time and offering a holistic infrastructure perspective.
Enhanced operational efficiency via automation and alerts
InvGate Insight facilitates streamlined operations through the implementation of automation and alert mechanisms. This proactive approach to IT management involves the setup of automated alerts, enabling organizations to monitor contract expirations and promptly notify relevant stakeholders. This automation reduces manual effort, minimizes the risk of oversights, and directs attention toward critical tasks, thus elevating overall efficiency.
Strengthened cybersecurity compliance via asset monitoring
InvGate Insight bolsters cybersecurity compliance through its asset monitoring capabilities, establishing and enforcing device health rules. Rapid identification of instances of non-compliance enables swift corrective action, ensuring adherence to cybersecurity policies and safeguarding the IT environment.
A holistic view of IT operations through native service desk integration
InvGate Insight seamlessly integrates with InvGate Service Desk, offering a native linkage between tickets, devices, and personnel. This integration furnishes a comprehensive 360° view of IT operations, streamlining management processes. By connecting service tickets with pertinent assets and individuals, workflows are streamlined, communication is enhanced, and issue resolution is improved.
Effortless remote management via native integration
InvGate Insight features seamless integration with well-known remote desktop tools such as Windows Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, AnyDesk, and VNC. This integration enhances remote management capabilities, providing direct access to devices for troubleshooting and maintenance. With smooth remote access, organizations can efficiently address IT issues, perform necessary maintenance tasks, and ensure uninterrupted operations.
Optimized software efficiency and cost reduction
InvGate Insight equips organizations with the means to identify and quantify the usage of paid software, facilitating effective Software Management. By gaining visibility into software utilization, underutilized licenses can be reallocated, unnecessary costs reduced, and returns on IT investments maximized. This optimization of software efficiency enables organizations to extract optimal value from their software resources.
In the realm of IT Asset Management, the comparison between Cherwell Asset Management vs. ServiceNow Software Asset Management has shed light on their respective strengths and features. Both solutions present compelling cases for organizations seeking efficient asset tracking and management.
However, it's important to widen the scope and consider alternatives that might offer a unique blend of functionalities. Exploring options like InvGate Insight could potentially unlock new dimensions of efficient management, cybersecurity compliance, and proactive cost management.
Explore our live demo and witness firsthand how InvGate Insight can elevate your IT Asset Management processes.