Are you looking to improve your skills in Active Directory in 2023? Finding the right course can be a daunting task whether you're a beginner or an experienced IT professional. With so many options available, it can be hard to know where to begin.
To help you get started, we've put together this guide to the best Active Directory courses. In this article, we'll cover the basics of Active Directory, provide a list of the top courses available, compare them in detail, offer tips for choosing the right one, and provide best practices for learning.
Overview of Active Directory
Active Directory (AD) is a Microsoft directory service that provides a centralized database for managing users, groups, computers, and other network resources. It's a critical component of many enterprise-level IT systems and is used to manage access to resources, enforce security policies, and simplify administration tasks. Active Directory is used extensively in Microsoft environments, and knowledge of its features and functions is a valuable asset for IT professionals.
Active Directory is a complex system with multiple components and features, such as Domain Name System (DNS), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), and Group Policy. To become proficient in Active Directory, one must have a solid understanding of its architecture, components, and functionality. A well-designed training course can provide you with the knowledge and skills required to master Active Directory and become an expert in managing and securing your organization's IT infrastructure.
Top Active Directory courses
Whether you're looking to enhance your skills or start from scratch, there's a course on this list for you. Let's dive in and explore the top Active Directory courses of 2023.
1. Microsoft's Active Directory Courses
Microsoft offers a range of Active Directory courses that cater to different skill levels, from beginner to advanced. These courses are available online, making them accessible to anyone, anywhere. They also offer a combination of free and paid courses, making them suitable for those on a tight budget.
The free courses cover basic concepts like managing users and groups, while the paid courses cover advanced topics like certificate services, Federation Services (AD FS), and Group Policy. The prices for the paid courses range from $995 to $2,995. The duration of each course varies, but they generally range from two to five days.
2. Udemy's Active Directory Courses
Udemy is an online learning platform that offers a wide range of Active Directory courses for different skill levels. These courses are taught by experienced professionals and are available to anyone with an internet connection.
Udemy offers a variety of courses, from beginner to advanced, with prices starting from $15.99. The duration of each course varies, but they generally range from a few hours to a few weeks. These courses cover a wide range of topics, from basic Active Directory concepts to advanced topics like Group Policy and Active Directory Federation Services.
3. LinkedIn Learning's Active Directory Courses
LinkedIn Learning offers a range of Active Directory courses accessible to anyone with a LinkedIn account. These courses are taught by experienced professionals and cover a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to advanced topics like Group Policy and Azure AD.
LinkedIn Learning offers a variety of courses for different skill levels, with prices ranging from $20 to $40 per month. The duration of each course varies, but they generally range from a few hours to a few weeks.
4. CBT Nuggets' Active Directory Courses
CBT Nuggets offers a range of Active Directory courses that cater to different skill levels. These courses are available online and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection.
CBT Nuggets offers a variety of courses, from beginner to advanced, with prices ranging from $59 to $84 per month. The duration of each course varies, but they generally range from a few hours to a few weeks. These courses cover various topics, from basic concepts to advanced topics like Azure AD Connect and Active Directory Federation Services.
5. Pluralsight's Active Directory Courses
Pluralsight is an online learning platform that offers a range of Active Directory courses. These courses are accessible to anyone with an internet connection and cover many topics.
Pluralsight offers a variety of courses, from beginner to advanced, with prices ranging from $29 to $299 per month. The duration of each course varies, but they generally range from a few hours to a few weeks. These courses cover a wide range of topics, from basic concepts to advanced topics like Group Policy and Azure AD Connect.
Benefits of studying Active Directory
Active Directory is an essential component of most modern IT environments, particularly those that rely on Microsoft technologies. As such, having a solid understanding of Active Directory can open up a wide range of career opportunities for IT professionals.
Here are some of the benefits of studying Active Directory:
- Job opportunities: Many businesses rely on Active Directory for identity and access management, making it a valuable skill for IT professionals. You can qualify for network administrator, systems administrator, or IT consultant positions with the right training and certification.
- Improved efficiency: A well-designed Active Directory infrastructure can enhance the efficiency of IT operations and reduce the time and effort required for user and resource management. Optimizing and troubleshooting Active Directory can help you streamline your work and save time.
- Increased security: Active Directory is an essential component of most security models and can play a crucial role in maintaining the security of your IT infrastructure. Understanding the best practices for securing Active Directory can help protect your organization from security threats and data breaches.
- Expanded knowledge: Active Directory is a complex technology with many features and capabilities, including Group Policy, DNS, and LDAP. Studying Active Directory can expand your understanding of these technologies and how they interact, making you a more well-rounded IT professional.
- Career advancement: As you gain more knowledge and experience with Active Directory, you can move into higher-level positions and take on more complex projects. Continued learning and development in Active Directory can help you stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and advance your career.
Tips for choosing an Active Directory course
- Define your learning objectives: Before choosing an Active Directory course, you must identify your goals and what you want to achieve. Determine the specific skills you need to learn or improve on and choose a course that aligns with those objectives.
- Consider your experience level: Active Directory courses are available for beginners, intermediate, and advanced users. Choose a course that aligns with your experience level to ensure that you are not overwhelmed or bored by the material.
- Research the course content: Before selecting an Active Directory course, review it and ensure that it covers the topics you want to learn. Look for courses that provide hands-on labs, practical exercises, and real-world scenarios to ensure that you gain practical experience.
- Check the course format: Active Directory courses can be self-paced or instructor-led. Determine which course format suits your learning style and schedule. If you prefer flexibility, choose a self-paced course, and if you need more structure, select an instructor-led course.
- Look for certification options: Some Active Directory courses offer certification upon completion. If you're looking to add credentials to your resume, choose a course that offers a recognized certificate.
- Read reviews and ratings: Before committing to an Active Directory course, read reviews and ratings from previous students. Feedback from other students can help you gauge the course's effectiveness, quality of instruction, and overall value for money.
By following these tips, you can choose an Active Directory course that aligns with your learning objectives, experience level, and preferred learning style. These recommendations will ensure that you get the most out of your training and take your skills to the next level.
Learning about Active Directory can be a game-changer for your career in IT. By mastering this essential technology, you'll gain the skills to manage user accounts, computers, and other resources in a networked environment.
With the help of the courses we've listed in this article, you can develop a strong foundation in Active Directory and gain the knowledge and expertise you need to excel in your career. Remember, the key to success is choosing the right course for your needs and following best practices for learning. By staying motivated, engaged, and focused on your goals, you can make the most of your learning experience and achieve your career aspirations.